It is Simple to Get Married in Tennessee!
If you are thinking about getting married in Tennessee, the requirements are much simpler than almost anywhere else in the country. Blood tests are not required, there is not a waiting period and it is easy to obtain a marriage license.
Here are the requirements for obtaining a marriage license:
- Both participants must be 18 years of age
- Present a valid driver's license, or certified birth certificate
- Present a social security card
- If not a United States citizen, you must present a valid passport
- If either of you have been divorced or widowed, you will need to know the exact date that the divorce was final, or date of death. If the bride has had a name change in her divorce and has not had her name changed on her driver's license, she will need to provide a certified copy of her divorce decree
- There is no blood test
- There is no waiting period
- License must be used within 30 days of issuance
- License can be used same day as applied for
- Fee for out of state residents is $41.00 cash, or they also accept Visa or Mastercard with a small processing fee
- Fee for Tennessee residents is $101.00 cash, or they also accept Visa or Mastercard with a small processing fee. The $60.00 fee will be waived if applicants complete a four hour premarital course and present a notarized certificate of completion, which can be obtained through their office.
Please note, that witnesses are not required to get married in the state of Tennessee. There is a line for a signature of a witness on the marriage license if you choose to have one.
Sevier County offers unique online features, if you are getting married in Sevier County within the next thirty days, you can fill out a pre-application here: https://secure.tncountyclerk.com/marriageform/marriageform.php?countylist=78.
Couples coming to Sevier County, Tennessee to marry, can get a marriage license on Saturdays. The Holiday Schedule for the Sevier County Marriage License offices are posted online: http://www.seviercountytn.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=275&Itemid=249. Or call for the schedule as hours vary, (865) 453-5502.
Next SMWA Meeting
July 19, 2016 at Bear Pen Gap from 5:30pm to 7:30pm $15 per person with an RSVP, $20 per person at the door without an RSVP. RSVP to Ellen@smwba.com
June After Hours
SMWA June After Hours on June 21st at Art Studio of the Smokies from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. This will be a networking event with appetizers and painting available. If you choose to paint there will be a $10 fee to cover painting supplies and canvas. RSVP to Ellen@smwba.com by Friday June 17th.
About the Smoky Mountain Wedding Association
The Smoky Mountain Wedding Association is a collaboration of various businesses that specifically offer a venue, product, or service that will make planning your Smoky Mountain Wedding quick and easy. We are a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the wedding industry in Sevier County, TN, and the Great Smoky Mountain area.
visit http://www.smokymountainweddingassociation.com/ If you would like to be a part of Tuesday's Tips, please contact Ellen@smwba.com.